The leading genetic evaluation system for tree and plant improvement
Tree Breeding Australia (TBA) initially developed TREEPLAN software in 2002 in partnership with the Animal Genetics and Breeding Unit (AGBU), University of New England, Armidale.
TREEPLAN has evolved into an elaborate amalgamation of a sophisticated database system with DATAPLAN as the front-end interface, TREEPLAN software acts as a bridge managing the data for genetic evaluation, and APEX software (high-capacity linear mixed model analysis) analyses the data and produces breeding values for access through DATAPLAN.
DATAPLAN and TREEPLAN software are developed, used and maintained by TBA. The APEX solver is developed and delivered by GHPC Consulting and Services Pty Ltd from Armidale, Australia.
TREEPLAN estimates breeding and genetic values for tree species, and can be readily adapted to do the same for any species of plant.
TREEPLAN - designed to make complex statistical methods accessible and easy to use
- Produces accurate breeding values.
- Allows straightforward and regular updates of breeding and genetic values.
- Fits an individual tree model 'BLUP ' using all available information from relatives.
- Designed to make complex statistical methods accessible and easy to use.
- Is fast and minimises computing resources.
- Is coupled to a modern and secure data management system operated via a web based interface (DATAPLAN).
- Fits mixed models and allows high model flexibility. Specification of random and fixed effects are trait and trial specific.
- Is designed to operate efficiently when there are more than 50 traits in multi-trait models.
- Accommodates heterogeneous variances both environmental and genetic, and uncertain parentage resulting from open pollination.
- Amalgamates genomic and pedigree information using so-called Single Step methodology.
- Enhancements will include complex spatial modelling of within site environmental effects modelling of within site environmental effects and incorporation of DNA information.
TREEPLAN - ideally suited to large databases with complex pedigree
TREEPLAN is the result of millions of dollars in research to develop a system that has the power to handle very complex databases including:
- Different regions and sites
- All pedigree data from close and distant relatives (siblings, parents, grandparents, founder groups)
- Different years
- Multiple traits
- Use of unbalanced data
- Complex pedigrees with information on unreplicated individuals and clonal replicates
- Multiple genetic groups to take account of founder effects